2013 Race PlanningPosted: December 11, 2012
Potential race/event list for 2013…
To date, I’m only officially in for the NAPA HITS Olympic in April and IM LT in September, but here’s how I’m potentially filling up the rest of my season:
Sunday, April 14
Napa HITS Olympic tri
* Training day! Goal – get back into triathlons after my hiatus in 2012.
* First triathlon since IM Wisconsin in Sept 2011
* Weather may be an issue (rained in 2012)
* Get to race with three other friends 🙂
* Registration was super cheap before 12/9!
Saturday, May 4
Wildflower Long Course
* Nervous about doing a tough course early on, particularly with my plans to enjoy the snowboarding season
* REAL test of where my fitness is at, since I’ve done this race twice. I hope that I’m close to my times in 2010 and 2011.
* Travel is kind of a PITA, race is expensive… but so much awesome crowd support and a great time to see other SF Tri Club folks and cheer them on, too!
Link, 2011 Race Report
East Bay Triple Crown Challenge
* I did this series last year (on minimal training) and really enjoyed these low-key (mostly trail) races. Great to get to know my EB parks better and get in some runs where I don’t have to worry about route finding, water, etc.
Sunday, May 19? (not posted yet)
Tilden Tough Ten
* Mostly road, with a short trail section
Sunday, June 2?
Lake Chabot Trail Challenge Half Marathon
* Super fun. Mostly trail. Hardest hills are early on in the race, giving you plenty of time to recover. Write up from 2011 race here.
Sunday, June 16?
Woodminister Cross Country
* Great trail run. Felt awesome until I got to a long hill with a LOT of people walking. I just about stopped in my tracks when I heard there was a mile of hill left to the top. Ouch. Nine miles with 1.5 of straight up.
Aside from regular biking, maybe find a fun century for June/July?
Sunday, July 28
Donner Lake Half (?) Ironman Triathlon
* Altitude practice with a $200 price tag that goes up after 12/31/12. Boo. But maybe necessary.
Saturday, July 27
Vineman Full Aquabike
* Distance practice for swim and bike, maybe a little too flat for real training purposes. Likely to be lots of SF Tri folks out there, would be nice to cheer them on as they finish the run part of the full IM distance.
Sunday, August 4
Mount Shasta Summit Century
* FML. I friggin hated this ride in 2011. All the more reason to repeat it in 2013. Altitude, hill climbs, general suffering = preparation for Tahoe.
Fri – Sat, August 23-24
Hood to Coast!
* Fun relay running event with a lovely group of friends. We didn’t get in to the event in 2012 and are psyched that we were selected for the 2013 event 🙂
Maybe find an open water swim to fit in here?
THE BIGGIE… Sunday, September 22
Ironman Lake Tahoe
* WTF altitude.
Wow. Busy, expensive season. At least I already have most of The Gear (super interested in trying out some compression stuff for faster recovery), so it’s just race fees, transportation, and some lodging.
Please let me know if you want to join me or have any advice on my event selection!